Wednesday, June 20, 2012

TEXAS FAITH: What are you reading this summer? And why?

WHAT ARE YOU READING THIS SUMMER AND WHY?

Our Constitution amazes me, and I literally worship its wisdom about human rights and the rights of individuals. I want to read and learn about the inspiration behind the debates, revisions and the process behind finalization of these words: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

URL - http://pluralismcenter.blogspot.com/2012/06/texas-faith-what-are-you-reading-this.html
. . . . . . . 

For a number of reasons, summer is known as a time of reading. That could be because of so many summer books coming out. It could be that we all have more time to read on vacation. Or it could be that summer is less stressful.

Texas Faith is a weekly column at Dallas Morning News managed by Editors William McKenzie and Wayne Slater, and the material is contributed by several panelists including Mike Ghouse, for all responses visit:http://religionblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/06/texas-faith-what-are-you-readi.html#

Your answers will help inform our readers about your cast of mind -- and the topics that you consider important.

MIKE GHOUSE, President, Foundation for Pluralism, Dallas

Abraham Lincoln's autobiography is one of the books I will be reading this summer. His statement, "with malice towards none" has been one of my anchors since my college interfaith discussions. I have given many forms to it in my writings, including with prejudice towards none.

I am committed to read about America and Americans as a guide in making, Americans Together, Building a cohesive America. When complete, the documentary will reflect most aspects of Americans, and their trials and tribulations, hopes and aspirations and their persistent pursuit of happiness. Whether you are a Native American, immigrant or a great grand immigrant, you would be able to relate to it.

Our Constitution amazes me, and I literally worship its wisdom about human rights and the rights of individuals. I want to read and learn about the inspiration behind the debates, revisions and the process behind finalization of these words: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

As a pluralist Muslim, I take a quiz at Beliefnet every year, and have consistently found that I am 100% Unitarian Universalist, 97% Quaker, 88% Buddhist, 85% Reformed Jew, 85% Neo Pagan, 79% Baha'i, 80% Muslim, 68% Hindu and 28% Catholic among others. My low score about the Catholic faith bothers me, and I am committed to read books on Catholicism. I want to improve my understanding to at least 50%. All recommendations are welcome.

MikeGhouse is committed to building a Cohesive America and offers pluralistic solutions on issues of the day. He is a professional speaker, thinker and a writer on pluralism, politics, civic affairsIslamIndiaIsrael, peace and justice. Mike is a frequent guest on Sean Hannity show on Fox TV, and a commentator on national radio networks, he contributes weekly to the Texas Faith Column at Dallas Morning News and regularly at Huffington post, and several other periodicals across the world. The blog www.TheGhousediary.com is updated daily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment